Friday, February 20, 2015

What happened next...

<--K enjoying a chat with family :)

When Daniel and I agreed to the last-minute hosting, we agreed that it was a host-only situation, but as Daniel said "We do need to pray about and be open to bringing K on a student visa, since he is not adoptable, and we need to advocate for him to find a family who would be willing to bring him on a student visa, if God does not lead us to do that. But, we don't want to make any promises until we are sure that God desires us to do differently"  As we were getting to know this funny, sweet, opinionated, smart and precious teen, we were continuing to pray and research student visas, and both  just starting to lean toward the possibility of pursuing the student visa.  Now suddenly, the world was spinning under our feet. And, I do mean spinning. I literally felt dizzy most of that day.  Sometimes I still do! 
How amazing and unbelievable is our God?  To orchestrate the movements of two little boys who had lost each other, to pass through an airport on the exact same day, going in opposite directions, and then just a glimpse! Just a glimpse! Then a stray comment, a director who couldn't sleep....I still can't get over it. 
I love my God! He is great and mighty, yet tender and gentle.
But, we were pretty racked with the "what are we to do now?!?!?!"  So prayerfully, we began advocating for both boys.  We had received some information on V and I had a small snapshot K carried of V as well. I nearly cried when we sent out the first advocacy email.  I don't know, maybe I expected a flooded inbox of "me! me! me! I want to adopt them!"  Which would have been awesome, and hard all at once. I was struggling. Daniel, he is a pretty calm and steady man. ;)  He was convinced that God would answer our prayers, bring a family for K and V or clearly show us that we were their family and there was nothing to worry about.  Half of me was like "oh, please let it be us", Instantly followed by "no! for shame, Anastasia! There is no way that could work and anyway, I know God that you have a good plan, and I don't want to stand in the way of that, I really don't. I want your will. This is so scary and big, just even the thought! Please bring a family for these precious boys!" Daniel had to keep encouraging me to trust.  I am so thankful for my loving and patient husband. 
The week after Christmas, one of the boys had to have major surgery (an ongoing part of his medical needs). The car (which has never had trouble) broke down on the way to the surgery out of state the night before surgery and we had to get a rental car, frantically find a hotel, then K drove with me and little Lion late into the night to make it for the surgery on time, while Daniel stayed with the little boys at a hotel and waited for the car to get fixed.   Crazy! We were impressed with how 
well K handled this stressful situation, and I was thankful for his presence at the hospital to cheer up little Lion, who is very brave, but understandably hates surgery... (me too! sweet little boy!)
We continued to talk with P143, but could only tell them  "We are praying. Please advocate for the boys, we would rather our hearts be broken than theirs, we want them to have a good family and we don't have an answer yet, so we are praying, but don't want to hinder them getting a good family" 
Far too soon, the day came for us to drive K back to the airport.  That day, we also got news that as we feared, the surgeon had found a rare aggressive cancer during Little lion's surgery. Thankfully, the margins were clear, but it was hard to imagine what would have happened if there had been a delay for this surgery. I reminded myself, "There are no near misses with God" It was a very hard day.  The little guys couldn't believe K would really go. They had grown very fond of him. When it came time to say "Goodbye" they barreled so hard into him that they knocked him to the ground.  It was good to have a moment of laughter as we tried to keep a brave face.  K finally had to go, last of the orphans to leave, being gently herded a long by a chaperone. He kept turning to search for us and wave, and we peered through the crowds trying to get every glimpse we could.  When he was finally all the way through and we couldn't see him anymore, I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my body.  There was a lot of crying all the way home. In just a short time, he had become a part of our family. I was afraid there was no chance we would ever get to see him again. "Oh [me] of little faith"  I still don't know what will happen in the future, but Daniel is right, "God is not done writing this story!"  We had a long and good talk on the way home. 
Here are two pictures of the results of the multi-boy-tackle-hug! haha, I didn't have my camera out at first so didn't catch the pile of 4 boys all on top of poor K.  Thank God for moments of laughter!

The next morning, the little boys began asking "Is K coming back today?" "WHY NOT??!!?!" "Daddy and mommy need to get on a plane and go get him. You just tell them, he needs to come back here."  Hmmmph. Silly parents to think it is hard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment