Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

This sweet Rockwell reminds me of many Sunday mornings with my mother in our pew. How she managed to keep her many children attentive and well behaved through a beautifully rich liturgical service, singlehandedly while my father preached, I will never know.   This little girl only lacks the tiny white gloves that were my pride and joy on Sunday mornings.
This post is too difficult to write correctly, but I wish I could express a tiny portion of my gratitude for my mother, my grandmothers, my mother in law, and certain examples (Thank you, Edith Schaeffer) who also taught me so much about being a mother.
To my mother: You are passionate about learning, books, people, travel, and most of all Christ. Your enthusiasm for learning is unquenchable.  You showed me that a woman could enjoy the thrill of quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, languages, music, history, and that there was no subject in the world that couldn't be interesting! You positively glowed when teaching us the beauty and intricacy of Greek, the richness of theology, the power of Hebrew, the music of Spanish. You taught us that etiquette was truly important, and then broadened our understanding to learn how to graciously and humbly approach very different manners and cultures from Middle Eastern to Asian to European. You love meeting all people, because you genuinely want to know about them.  You are brave.  You did everything differently, and even though I know you are shy, you were still the best speaker at any conference, the most engaging teacher, and by far one of the most broad-minded and enlightened women I know.  You are an intellectual, an academic yes, but you also taught me to sew, to knit, to can, to bake, to care for little ones and to be a living example of love. You never presented me with an "either-or" dichotomy of professional versus homemaker.  Instead, you live fully, richly, individually, and even when I see you worry about others opinions a little bit, you refuse to let their views dictate to you how you live. Yet, you are humble, kind, willing to forgive and to ask forgiveness. You want to live Christ.
To my paternal Grandmother:   Like my mother, you are strong, intelligent, world-traveled, and immensely talented. You showed me that to be a lady in the fullest sense of the word was a beautiful thing for which to strive. You inspired me to not only seek beauty, but also to create it around me. You introduced me to the best artists, and made them old friends. You always encouraged the art to blossom in me. You opened my world to the treasure of great music, the finest musicians. You are truly an example of polish and poise, graceful steel, serene dignity. Thank you for your love for me, your encouragement, your example.
To my maternal Grandmother:  You never would accept anything other than excellence. Excellence in grammar, excellence in spelling, excellence in mathematics, excellence in life. You could not and do not tolerate mediocrity. God has used you to teach me many lessons. Indeed, they are lessons I am still learning.
To my Mother-in-law:  Surely, our cultures are different, our worlds before so disparate, and yet  now so entwined. Yet, you have always shown me such grace, such beauty of spirit.  You are tender-hearted, and determined in your love toward me. I am acutely aware of how far you surpass me. I see your diligence and your humility toward your family. Every day, you put them above yourself. I wonder at your patience. I see you reflected in your son, the best husband a woman could ever wish for. Thank you for teaching him and raising him to be someone who loves to learn, and cares for people so truly. You truly exemplify the treasure of a meek and quiet spirit--the jewel of Christ-likeness.  It is my prayer to raise my sons as well as you raised your son.  Thank you for loving me. I love you too.
Dear Edith Schaeffer: I know you are enjoying your first Mother's day in Heaven. Thank you for your example. Thank you for everything you taught me about homemaking, living, loving, learning. Your granddaughter said that walking into your home was "like walking into the sunshine."  Thank you for sharing that Sonshine with the world. Your life to me is the epitome of the words:  "Love never fails."
To the Adoptive Moms who have stepped up to help me through this journey:  Thank you! Your willingness to share with me in joy or sorrow, your honesty in weakness and struggles, your fierce love for your children; all these and much more strengthen me on this path.  



No comments:

Post a Comment