Sunday, June 16, 2013

In which we tour medical facilities in Guangzhou...

As far as official tours of China go, I have pretty much missed them all: Tian'anmen Square, Forbidden City, Hutongs, Liuhua Lake park, Great Wall, Zhengzhou East, Shamian Island, Pearl market etc, etc, etc...
However, I have had the privilege of getting to tour medical facilities in Beijing, Zhengzhou, and now Guangzhou (and no I am not talking about the infamous medical exam day for the adoptees ;) ha!)
The latest escapade happened a couple days ago (I am sorry I am such a terrible blogger)
E, D and Jian Hou all were running fevers for the past week, but while D and J cleared after 3-4 days (or at least seemed to be on the upswing) poor little E just kept getting worse.  So, one morning while Kiki and Grandpa were off to see Shamian Island, Daniel got in contact with our insurance company (thankfully, Daniel's company provides fantastic worldwide medical coverage as standard policy due to all the travel the employees do) and found a clinic for the little fellow and got an appt.  No one was feeling very well, so I left the 3 other boys with Daniel, strapped on E and hobbled out to get a taxi.  By this point, I was having trouble moving my left leg and my right SI was going out too. To add to the fun, I had picked up some sort of virus that made me feel like I had been clobbered with a 2x4 all over and was enjoying stabbing migratory arthralgias.   (just to add to the soap opera level y'all!)  Still, despite me speaking no Cantonese, and the driver speaking barely any Mandarin, we arrived safe and sound at the correct address.  It was actually a fun taxi ride and E and I both enjoyed it I think, because of course when we did arrive, his fever had broken, he was alert and excited, and basically acting normal. Of course ;)  (all mom's know how that is!)
For families traveling to the province, I chose to go to the United Family Clinic (a large Western clinic and hospital system across China).  Our insurance would cover all the international clinics in G, but I knew United (I have actually jokingly discussed taking a job with them in China, if Daniel's company were to relocate us to one of their China offices)  It was definitely as good as I expected it to be, very top notch, professional, kind and for families who are not into international style medical care, it is exactly like any well run clinic in the USA.  (all English speaking, of course, JC certified, etc)
Maybe I am crazy, but I am so glad I have gotten to see at least a few medical facilities in China, though I wish it had not been necessary.  There is a definite collegiality between medical professionals, and I have so enjoyed getting to meet Chinese colleagues here and talking with them.  It is like being part of a family, and I have had the privilege in many other places to meet other doctors, so as odd as it may sound, I really enjoyed getting to know a few here too.
E is doing better, still trying to recover, but definitely improving.  We all have coughs, but the noses are not running quite so freely, though several of us are having GI troubles still. I don't believe this is from something we ate, but one of our dear new son's came with a GI bug and the symptoms started after that in the others and match.
Quick note on the official medical exams for other APs:  The new clinic which is not on Shamian is just as nice as the guides tell you---clean, spacious, air conditioned.  For our group it really wasn't too crowded.  The medical exam stations are exactly like every adoptive mom has ever described before down to the very same squeaky toys.  Our boys hated the day with a passion, and that is an understatement. We survived.  I am thankful.
Today was D's third birthday, and we decided to go with the group to the Chimelong Safari Park, because he really likes animals and Daniel was hoping it would be less walking for me than the zoo. It is really nice, far too huge to see in one day, but we had fun and got to see all the pandas. :) There are no pandas at the zoo right now as they have been returned to their native Sichuan province to try to help with a pregnancy.   The hotel provided a complimentary cake for D for his birthday, complete with candles.  D was super excited and thrilled!  He was also very proud of the birthday card they gave him, and his new back pack from us and a flashlight from grandpa.  It is such a delight to see the joy on a little child's face for such simple things.  He spent the evening checking over and over that his flashlight was in his backpack (a lion or tiger thing, mommy is not quite sure what it is supposed to be) and then zipping it back up.   Now he is sleeping with it :)
Xiu Hui, E and D all enjoyed the safari, Jian Hou not so much.  We are finding out that he is very afraid of most animals, birds and fish.  But finally, he did smile at the sight of a momma and baby elephant :)
Tomorrow morning is our consulate appointment.  Due to the recent threat on the consulate, the security has heightened significantly, so our guide informed us tonight that if we bring anything: diapers,  baby snacks etc, they have to be in a clear plastic bag. The only other thing we may bring is the paperwork and our passports.  Tonight, I jury rigged  a gallon ziplock bag into a diaper bag by making it a tape handle. :)  We plan (as we did on the medical exam day) to leave the two blonde boys "home" with Kiki and Grandpa.  It sounds like with the new procedures, it would be quite a bit too stressful for them and us to have to come along.  We are so thankful for our help!
Oh, and happy father's day!  I am certainly blessed to be married to Daniel.  He is such an amazing father to these four boys.  Believe me, 4 sick toddlers, two of whom are recently adopted from different backgrounds, in a foreign country, in a hotel room, with a sick, crippled mom is as crazy as it sounds.  Actually, it is crazier and more hectic than it sounds...and Daniel has done such an amazing job of taking care of all of us.  Xiu occasionally has bad night terrors, and it is "Baba" who holds him for hours and cuddles him till he is calm again. He often carries two boys at once and pushes a stroller, and carries the backpack and handles the money. He breaks up the fights and kisses the bumped heads.  He changes the endless diapers (recall, GI bug in house) He is the best of the best.  I pray that God will bless him today and always.



1 comment:

  1. your stories are always so amazing! Glad you can see so many bright spots while under the weather. Praying the rest of your trip goes as smoothly as possible.

    It made me laugh that of all the animals, elephants were the ones that got a smile. The animal big enough to crush him. :)

    ReplyDelete